The Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County (CAA) announces a new public art project created in partnership with Visit South Walton and Lamar Outdoor Advertising and is calling visual artists to submit work for consideration. The Billboard Art Project will launch in October 2020 during National Arts & Humanities month and will feature original artwork by at least ten Walton County artists, including Visit South Walton’s 2020 Artist of the Year Doug Foltz. The artwork will be displayed on billboards throughout Walton, Okaloosa and Santa Rosa counties. The purpose of the project, which is part of the CAA’s Art in Public Spaces program, is for art to share messages of joy, unity, encouragement and healing, to beautify highways with original artwork, provide exposure and income to Walton County artists, and to promote South Walton as a creatively rich community where art thrives.
CRITERIA & ELIGIBILITY
The CAA is calling for submissions of artwork that include imagery and or text combined with imagery that will unite, support, inspire, and bring joy and healing to the community. Individual artists over the age of 18 living or working in Walton County, Florida may submit one artwork to be considered for placement on a billboard. Individuals whose submissions are selected for the project will receive a $900 stipend. Artwork on billboards will be in place for a minimum of eight weeks. All artwork submitted will be featured on the CAA and Visit South Walton websites.
- The deadline for submissions is 11:59 PM on August 31, 2020.
- Submissions can be received online by clicking the link below.
- There is no submission fee.
- One submission per artist or artist team will be accepted. Two or more artists may collaborate on a submission but may only submit one work and may not also submit individually.
- All forms of visual art, except video, that can be submitted in a digital format are acceptable.
- Artwork must be suitable for public presentation.
- Promotional and commercial images will not be considered.
- Artwork that includes imagery and text to unite, support and inspire the community is encouraged.
- A committee will review all submissions that are received before the deadline, and selections will be made based on quality and presentation of the artwork, theme, messaging, and suitability for a billboard exhibition. The decisions of the committee are final.
- Artwork will be used for project exhibition on the billboard and promotional purposes only, including but not limited to social media, CAA and partner websites, print material, and press releases.
- The artist is the owner of the images and retains all rights and will be credited as such.
Artwork specs will be one of the following sizes:
- 22’ width x 10’ 6” height
- 15’ width x 10’ 5” height
- Artwork image or proposal (JPEG, 72 dpi or higher)
- Description of Artwork
- Artist Statement about how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your work.
- Resume/CV or artist bio
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
August 31, 2020: Submission deadline
September 9, 2020: Artist notification
Before September 18, 2020: All artwork sent for printing
By September 28, 2020: Stipends released
By October 5, 2020: Billboards begin to be installed (locations/dates released to artists as available)
October 9 until…Artwork displayed